Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and Answers

How do I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?
Contact the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.  (link to site)

How do I contact the Sheriff's office?
Lane County Law Enforcement can be contacted by calling (620) 397-2828.  If in an emergency please dial 911.  They are physically located at 144 South Lane St in Dighton, third floor.

Where is the tag office and what are the hours?
The Lane County Treasurer's office is located at 144 South Lane in Dighton, second floor.  They are open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Closed from Noon - 1:00 p.m.  (620) 397-2802

How do I become a paid Election worker?
Please contact the Clerk's office at (620) 397-5356 for more information.

Where do I go to file a deed?
The Register of Deeds Office, 144 South Lane in Dighton, second floor.

What is the federal minimum wage?
The Federal minimum wage effective on July 24, 2009 is $7.25.

What do I do when a storm approaches?
Go to the nearest shelter/basement and take cover.  Keep a battery powered radio with you at all times for information on the storm.  Do not go outside until the storm has passed.

What is one MIL?
A mil is .001 of the assessed value of a taxing unit.

If there is a TAX CAP, what does that mean?
A cap is the highest mil levy allowed by law.

What taxes besides your house and farm land are based on the county levy?
KDOR calculates the current average motor vehicle levy for each county based on two years prior county levy.

How do I get a hunting or fishing license?
Hunting and Fishing licenses can be purchased through the County Clerk's office.  For additional information contact Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism at (620) 672-5911 or visit